Skip to main content

CFMC’s Monterey County Storm Relief Fund Offers Way to Help Our Community

 

(MONTEREY COUNTY, CALIF.) — The 2023 winter storms have caused widespread destruction and

hardship for many Monterey County residents and their families. Tens of thousands of people have

been under evacuation orders or warnings due to dangers from heavy rains and flooding.

Call centers, agencies and organizations across the county are receiving offers to help community

members during this challenging time. One of the largest nonprofit organizations in the area, the

Community Foundation for Monterey County (CFMC), has created the Monterey County Storm Relief

Fund to raise funds to provide relief for affected individuals and families.

“Some people have been out of work for weeks now and are in need of food, housing and immediate

assistance,” said Krista Hanni, Equity Officer for the Emergency Operations Center and Program

Manager for County of Monterey Health Department. “We anticipate local nonprofits to play a critical

role in recovery, and this fund will help support their efforts.”

Donations will provide emergency assistance and relief through local nonprofits for needs, including

food, emergency shelter, financial assistance to those evacuated, support for first responders, as well as

recovery efforts.

The CFMC has so far granted $100,000 to initiate the Storm Relief Fund, and the Monterey Peninsula

Foundation, host of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, partnered with the CFMC by contributing an

additional $100,000 to the fund. Gifts support the affected residents of Monterey County and are

entirely tax deductible. 100% of donations will be used for grantmaking. The foundation is accepting

donations at www.cfmco.org/stormrelief

“We are grateful for the Community Foundation for Monterey County starting this important fund,”

said County of Monterey Administrative Officer Sonia M. De La Rosa. “This has been a time for us all

to come together, and we’ll continue to support each other during recovery.”

Nonprofit organizations helping with recovery and relief efforts from the 2023 Monterey County 2023

winter storm may be eligible for grants. Learn more about the criteria and how to apply at

www.cfmco.org/stormreliefgrants

“One of the best ways you can help with local recovery efforts for the winter storms is by donating to

the Storm Relief Fund,” said Nicholas Pasculli, County of Monterey Communications Director and

Public Information Officer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fatal 3 Vehicle Accident Involving Wrong Way Driver on Highway 101 Outside of King City on January 10

  A fatal multi-vehicle collision happened on Saturday night, January 10 at 9:51 p.m. on northbound Highway 101 outside of King City. According to the King City CHP a 2016 Toyota Tacoma driven by 65-year-old Paul Lee Cooper of Otis, Oregon was heading the wrong way going southbound in the northbound lanes south of Jolon Road, while a 2006 Toyota Corolla driven by 33-year-old Dinora Maribel Gomez of Salinas was heading northbound on Highway 101 south of Jolon Road in the #1 lane and a Honda Accord driven by 36-year-old Ignacio Sangerman of King City was also traveling northbound on Highway 101 south of Jolon Road but was in the #2 lane. Due to Cooper's level of impairment his vehicle went the wrong way on Highway 101 going directly into the path of Gomez' vehicle causing the rear of her car to crash with the front of the vehicle driven by Sangerman. Cooper was arrested, sustaining major injuries and was transported to Natividad Medical Center in Salinas where as of January 12 is...

Monterey County DA Releases Preliminary Information Concerning an Officer Involved Shooting Incident that Occurred Outside of Soledad on December 16

  SALINAS, California- Monterey County District Attorney Jeannine M. Pacioni on December 19 released preliminary information concerning the officer involved shooting (OIS) which occurred at about 1:20 a.m. outside the city of Soledad on December 16, 2025. Just before 1:00 a.m., Monterey County Sheriff’s Deputy Carlos Pina, who has been a peace officer for 10 years all with MCSO, and Deputy Blain Councilman, each in separate patrol cars, were dispatched to 32097 McCoy Road. A resident at the farm labor camp reported a suspicious individual with a handgun whose white Honda 4 door sedan was parked in space 18 at the complex. Before parking there, the suspect drove around and around, stopped in front of the reporting party’s (RP’s) truck, and got out. The RP could hear music. Deputy Pina drove the lead patrol car and arrived just after 1:20 a.m. His dashcam video, which does not record sound but which he installed on his own and at his own expense, depicts the following: He drove down ...

King City City Council Announces Selection of José Arreola as New City Manager

  January 7, 2025-Following an extensive recruitment process, José Arreola has been selected by the King City City Council to be its next City Manager. Arreola will replace Steve Adams, who is retiring after serving in the position for the past 10 years. Arreola was selected from 31 applicants and 8 finalists for the position. The King City City Council will formally consider the proposed city manager contract at its meeting on Tuesday night, January 13. Arreola's first day on the job is scheduled to be February 23.    José Arreola has a distinguished career of serving the community with a particular commitment to youth. He has worked for the City of Salinas for 12 years as their Community Safety Program Manager, Community Safety Administrator and Assistant to the City Manager. Among other responsibilities, Arreola has led several programs to eliminate gang violence which aligns well with the City of King’s efforts and priorities. Prior to that, Arreola worked as an Educa...